Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Mixed Media

I showed amusement in my piece by choosing a subject based on fame and entertainment. My words are based on money, acting, famous places, and the amusement of the self and of others. My piece was a box, and the different faces used similar materials and compositions with the same theme. I tried to make all the faces seem like a continuation of the others.

I have always loved mixed media! I have made boxes like this one before at home, but I usually don't make so many layers and I usually don't have such a specific theme. I used magazine clippings, text, a coin, aluminum hearts and numbers, acrylic and water color paints, tissue paper, marker, and gel medium in my mixed media piece.

Our visual journaling exercises were great practice for my box. The journal pages and their interactions were a lot like the different faces of my art box. Being able to try out different techniques and materials, along with seeing how the pages interacted with each other, was really helpful when I started working on my box.

Some challenges I faced were making the faces of the box work together when they weren't right next to each other. Sometimes seeing their differences and similarities was hard when I couldn't look at both things at the same time. Also, not being satisfied with a layer and having to work on top of my existing work was sometimes hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment